Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day in Capitol Reef

We spent Memorial Day in Torrey and at Capitol Reef. I was excited to take the kids back down to my old stomping ground. I always wish we could spend more time there, but it is hard with three little kids, especially now that my mom isn't there. But anyway we went to the cemetary and put flowers on the graves. I am hoping to help the kids understand a little better about my dad. I am still not sure they really understand the situation, but I know they will eventually. We were able to see the American Legion program and all the flags by the graves. Stockton has learned a lot about veterans at school the last two years and thought it was all really neat.
I have been dying to get the kids hiking at Capitol Reef. I miss it so much!!! I have been waiting for them to get a little older. So I decided we would try Hickman's bridge this time. Luckily we found a little break in the rain and took off. I carried Peyton in the carrier most of the way up, but he didn't love it. So Andy took him the rest of the way.

Luckily its not a very long hike. We will have to figure something out for P if he won't stay in the carrier.



I always loved this little overhang as a kid. I thought it was so cool. I knew the kids would love it too.


The kids were so thirsty. We had to stop a few times so everyone could get a drink.


If I wasn't so lazy I would have scanned in the picture from my scrapbook of me and my sisters playing in this same hole at about the same age.

A nice Japanese lady offered to take our picture so that I could be in it. I hope this is the first of my family hiking trips at Capitol Reef. The kids had so much fun exploring all the little holes and tunnels in the sand stone. I realized that they probably could have spent several hours on that hike. If it didn't look like we were going to get soaked with a downpour at any second we would have taken longer and let them explore all over. We will for sure have to go back on a better day and spend a long time!!

4 comments:

The Nielsen Family said...

Looks like fun

Rachel said...

what great memories you are making with your kids, and what memories you are sparking in my head. The Park, what an enchanted place to be able to grow up in.
Love the pics, glad you had a super time.

Camille said...

How fun!! I'm glad you guys got to go down for Memorial Day. It's funny, we have some of the same pics in the holes as kids and also with our own kids. They all loved Hickman's bridge - we hiked it right before we moved to FL and that's all the kids want to do when we come out to visit this summer!

Haskell Fam said...

Looks like a great time! Andy looks so young in those pictures! You will have to take all of us down there sometime, it would be so fun!