Tuesday, April 6, 2010

April Fools-- The joke's on me!

I was so traumatized by my last years April fools joke that I could not even post about it at the time. I have had a year to recover and can now admit my weaknesses as a mother.

I saw these cute pot pie April fools desserts and thought it would be so fun to make them for my family. I bought all the extra candy and secretly made my peas and carrots when the kids didn't see. It worked out that Andy had to work late and wasn't home for dinner with the kids. I brought out the pot pies and tried to coax the kids to eat them. They refused.
I tried nicely and jokingly for awhile, but they still would not even touch the pudding and candy pot pies because they hate real pot pie (even though they have never had more than a nibble of crust because that is all they would try). After several tries and still no takers I got mad and lost my temper. I started screaming at them and tried to tell them it was really pudding. By then we were all crying and I resolved that I couldn't try anything else like this until I could be a grown up when my fun food got rejected (just like my real dinners every single night). Or until Andy is home to help me keep my sense of humor about my many rejections.

Tootsie roll peas and carrots.

Pudding, "peas," and "carrots"

The finished products. They do look pretty realistic.

So I guess I couldn't handle it, because I didn't do anything for them this year. Stockton got me good though. He came home from school and said, "Mom, can I do my reading now?" I was shocked and ready to drop what I was doing to hurry and get his reading done. It is usually like pulling teeth to get him to do it. Then he quickly smiled and said "April Fools." I knew it was too good to be true!!!!

5 comments:

The Nielsen Family said...

those little pies are so cute!

Cindy Wright said...

Hi Amber,
I need to get the recipe for those pies. I would love to try it on my kids. Just so you feel better...my kids would have reacted the same way and I am sure I would have lost my temper with them as well. LOL!

Kelly Stanworth said...

I've been waiting for a long time for you to share your last year's story. I thought of you this year when I considered doing the same meal for my family, but I thought better of it when I remembered you trauma...I'm much more emotionally unstable and really couldn't handle any extra battles right now.

Kristen said...

That's hilarious!!

Kristen said...

So did Andy fall for the pot pie? Kyle and I are cracking up at Stockton's joke. I got sprayed with the hose thing by the kitchen faucet. Kyle taped it so when I turned the water on I got soaked....3 times!