Monday, May 5, 2008

Abby's Dance Recital

My little peanut had her first dance recital last week. I never realized how small she really is until I saw her dancing with all those other girls. She is the youngest in her class, but is also the smallest by at least a head. People are always telling us how petite she is and one day I thought about it and realized that I was always one of the smallest in all my elementary school classes too. It brought back scary memories of "the Chicken Man." A select few of you will know who that is. For the rest of you, he was the school picture taker. He had this rubber chicken and would bop it on his leg and say "don't hit me chicken." For those poor shorties in the class who had to always be on the front row, sometimes he would bop one of us and say "don't hit her chicken." I was always terrified he was going to bop me. I never wanted to be on the end of the row!!!

We kept our expectations for the recital pretty low. When she went to get her dance class pictures taken, she cried the whole time and it was a struggle. So I was afraid at the recital she might burst into tears and run off the stage. Honestly, I thought it would be pretty good if she just stood frozen in her place and bobbed up and down.
She totally surprised us all!!!! She got jiggy with it, got down with her bad self, and got her groove on, to say the least. She totally danced the whole time. She didn't even wait for the music to start. Too bad it wasn't anything like what she learned in class. She was just doing her own thing while some of the other kids actually did the dance they learned. We got the whole thing of video and its just about 10 minutes or so. If you're ever in the neighborhood, you should stop by to watch it. It is great comic relief.
She had a great time and thinks she is the world's best dancer. And who can blame her. We all loved it and told her so!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Don't feel bad, I got whacked by the chicken man a few times myself. I think he picked out the kids he knew wouldn't start crying. Only in a small town atmosphere would a guy get away with whacking kids with a rubber chicken.
Abby is really cute, I just want to squeeze her. She must get the jiggyness from Myriah. She is the only superstar in our family. I am very proud be the aunt of the sweetest, cutest and best ever kids in the world. Believe me, I tell everyone all the time!

Rachel said...

She is so stinking cute!!

I love it, that outfit is amazing. i guess you are going to be playing dress up alot with that one.

That dang chicken man, he scarred you for life didn't he? The only year I had to be on the front row was 5th grade. I was on the second or third row, but not the back row, all the other years. I have never been a little dainty one.