I am sitting here all thoughtful today. This week has been a challenge, but has given me a lot of time to think about being a mom and what is it all about. So if you don't want to hear my philosophical ramblings, quit reading now.
Ok, glad you stuck around. Our house has been a strep-a-palooza lately. Stockton and Abby both got it over Thanksgiving break along with a very nasty stomach flu that my mom and mandy both got after visiting us. (It takes a lot to make my mom sick, she has a cast iron stomach!!!) Then they were both diagnosed with strep again on December 23. And again about 2 weeks ago. This week Peyton got it too along with some kind of stomach bug. He has been throwing up, feverish and crying every second I am not holding him (and even lots that I am) literally. Then on friday night abby was up all night throwing up too. I had Peyton on one side of me kicking me in the head as he wallered and moaned all night and her throwing up on the other side. It has been exhausting! It is times like this when I start to think how hard being a mom is. I never had a clue how hard it could be sometimes. But then I remembered a quote I heard lately that says "there is no comfort in growth and no growth in comfort!" It is so true. If everything were easy all the time we would never grow and get better at anything. I can honestly say that I am a much better person than I was before I had kids. I have grown so much in patience, love and creative problem solving. Don't get me wrong, I still have a ways to go. A long ways!!!! But I can see how struggles make me stronger. It makes me appreciate those wonderful mothers in my life. You never really know how much they went through for you and sacrificed until you have your own. Maybe that is part of the growing too, learning to appreciate others. Of course I couldn't have survived the week without a wonderful husband who took care of laundry and dishes and gave me some reprieves from all the whining and crying whenever he was home. On the medical note, we are in a big game of clue. One of us is most likely a strep carrier and keeps infecting the kids. Andy got swabbed with Peyton and he had a faint positive. So he is on antibiotics too. Abby's tonsils are huge and the dr. says she could be the carrier with those. So once everyone is done with their current antibiotics, if we can stay healthy for a couple of weeks without anyone getting strep we will all go in as a family and get our throats swabbed. Then if anyone is positive we will have the mystery solved!!!
Well thanks for reading my rant. If you are a mom give yourself a pat on the back. If you're not, call your mom and tell her you love her!



2 comments:
I am so sorry about all of the sickness! I totally feel your pain... we all had the nasty stomach bug at the same time... and why do the kids START throwing up at 11pm?? Right when you want to go to sleep. =) Hang in there... it does make you soooo thankful for your own mom and realize what she did! And, by the way, your Christmas card was DARLING!! You put so much work into those, Amber! We loved it! And I showed it off to my friends! Take care =)
Maybe I should do the same kind of rant on my blog. I'm right there with you. We've been to the doctor every week since Thanksgiving and even had Jonathon over to our house tonight because Barrett now has a rash all over his body to add to the double ear infection, pink eye, and croup (sp?). We're spending a fortune in copays! Ryan is a carrier for strep and it seems like someone in our home is always getting it. Hope he isn't infecting your kids, but I'll bet he did a couple of times that your kids got it right after mine had it. We'll have to be more careful when they play now that we know they are both so susceptible.
Post a Comment